Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Inside Jokes

Allusions to picture books are common at our house, so when my teenage daughter tells me her sister is Ella Sarah today, I know just what to expect.  "It is not Gloria's yet!" is just another way of saying, "But, I don't want to share."  (Actually, that is one of many oft-repeated lines we borrow from the Frances books.)  And the question "How goes the work?" conjures up a sleepy, weepy farmer duck and usually reluctant grins all-around when we have almost finished a long day of yard work.

Yesterday, a dark purple blanket with my toddler beneath it came running into the kitchen calling, "Roaar! I'm a monstee!  I'm going to eat you."

And my sweet daughter bit me through the blanket -- not terribly hard, but definitely hard enough that I knew this "monstee" meant business.  I pulled her away from my leg and said, "Bootsie, I don't want to play that game."

Clearly, I didn't get my message across because she lunged at my leg again with another, "Roaar!"

This time I yanked the blanket off her head, looked her straight in the eye and said, "I am a PALEONTOLOGIST!  Would you like to play?"

A wicked grin lit up her face as she cried, "Yes!  I AM BOOTSIE BARKER!"

Some of the best jokes come from inside books.

Check out Bootsie Barker Bites
by Barbara Bottner
illustrated by Peggy Rathman
published 1992

No comments:

Post a Comment