Friday, August 31, 2012

Looking Forward

It's the last day of August, the kids are back in school, and I am hoping to get some quiet reading time soon.  Here's a quick list of my must-reads for the month:
  • What Came from the Stars by Gary Schmidt
I have tried to avoid reading reviews (which has not been easy) for Gary Schmidt's new fantasy because I hate spoilers, but the brief summary I did read sounds intriguing.  And . . . it's Gary Schmidt.
  • The Impossible Rescue: The True Story of an Amazing Adventure by Martin Sandler
Rescue story = good.  True rescue story = better.  In his review for The Horn Book Magazine, Jonathan Hunt calls The Impossible Rescue, "a spirited adventure tale".  I'm hoping.  
  • Bomb: The Race to Build--and Steal--the World's Most Dangerous Weapon by Steve Sheinkin
Sheinkin's The Notorious Benedict Arnold: A True Story of Adventure, Heroism, & Treachery from 2010 was one of my favorite books from that year.  Where was he when I was in school?  I swear I would have loved history taught the way he tells it.  
What's on your list?

3 comments:

  1. I am looking forward to "What Came From the Stars" and Sharon Creech has "The Great Unexpected" coming out in September.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am still trying to catch up by reading "Keeping the Castle" by Patrice Kindl, and "Three Times Lucky" by Shelia Turnage. I'm also really excited for Sharon Creech's new book coming out. It's too bad that I have so much Chemistry homework . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got Freaky Fast Frankie Joe, by Lutricia Clifton, and Breathing Room, by Marsha Hayles, as my next couple to read and review.

    ReplyDelete