We read books illustrated by Jon Klassen:
- Sam and Dave Dig a Hole by Mac Barnett, illustrated by Jon Klassen;
- Extra Yarn by Mac Barnett, illustrated by Jon Klassen; and
- This Is Not My Hat by Jon Klassen.
We talked about the importance of the text and the illustrations in a picture book and how they work together to tell the story. We also talked about the possible endings for Sam and Dave Dig a Hole.
We talked about inventions with steel. We read
- the poem "Skyscraper" by Dennis Lee and
- Mr. Ferris and His Wheel by Kathryn Gibbs Davis, illustrated by Gilbert Ford.
We talked about the first skyscraper in 1885 that rose 10 stories high and skyscrapers today that reach up over 2,000 feet. We marveled at Ferris wheel passenger cars that held 40 velvet seats.
We talked about wishing and read
- The Witch's Walking Stick by Susan Meddaugh and
- Joha Makes a Wish: A Middle Eastern Tale by Eric A. Kimmel, illustrated by Omar Rayyan.
I asked, "If you had one wish what would it be?" One student wanted to fly, another wanted to be rich, and then there was my favorite: "I would wish to be a shape shifter."