Sunday, December 30, 2012

From Our Bookshelves 2012

Because the experience of reading involves what the author puts in a book and what a reader brings to the book, there is a small but important difference between a "Best of List" and a "Favorites List."  For our final post of the year, we are each posting a list of our favorite books from 2012.  We know that we will not include many wonderful books written this year, but we happily and wholeheartedly recommend our favorites.

danyelle's list:  (I had a difficult time narrowing my list down my ten favorites, so I finally admitted failure and decided on eleven.  I've listed my top five first.)

Extra Yarn written by Mac Barnett, illustrated by Jon Klassen
A Home for Bird by Philip Stead
Penny and Her Doll by Kevin Henkes
Liar & Spy by Rebecca Stead
Bomb: The Race to Build--and Steal--the World's Most Dangerous Weapon  by Steve Sheinkin

Boy + Bot written by Ame Dyckman, illustrated by Dan Yaccarino
Sleep Like a Tiger written by Mary Logue, illustrated by Pamela Zagarenski
Mice written by Rose Fyleman, illustrated by Lois Ehlert
Nic Bishop Snakes by Nic Bishop
Crow by Barbara Wright
The Impossible Rescue: The True Story of an Amazing Arctic Adventure by Martin W. Sandler


diane's list: (I read quite a few books this year--even though I was busy at school--and am pleased to post my top ten recommendations.)
  1. Mice written by Rose Fyleman, illustrated by Lois Ehlert
  2. The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielson
  3. Boy + Bot written by Ame Dyckman, illustrated by Dan Yaccarino
  4. Three Times Lucky by Sheila Turnage
  5. The Obstinate Pen by Frank W. Dormer
  6. Bink and Gollie: Two for One written by Kate DiCamillo & Alison McGhee, illistrated by Tony Fucile
  7. Reached by Allie Condie
  8. Bird and Squirrel on the Run by James Burks
  9. The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight  by Jennifer E. Smith
  10. Bomb: The Race to Build--and Steal--the World's Most Dangerous Weapon by Steve Sheinkin

tara's list:  While these books may not be my top "award winners," they are books that I enjoyed reading and that will stay on my shelf for future reads.

Splendors and Glooms by Laura Amy Schlitz
A Home for Bird by Philip Stead
Penny and Her Doll by Kevin Henkes
Liar and Spy by Rebecca Stead
The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielson
Bomb: The Race to Build--and Steal--the World's Most Dangerous Weapon  by Steve Sheinkin
Nic Bishop Snakes by Nic Bishop
Step Gently Out by Helen Frost
What Came From the Stars by Gary D. Schmidt
Z is for Moose by Kelly Bingham, Illustrated by Paul O. Zelinsky

1 comment:

  1. We all share many favorites! Okay, you've convinced me; can I borrow "Bomb"?

    ReplyDelete