Wednesday, November 27, 2013

More Lists

Lately, most of the time that I apportion to my book habit has been spent reading books for the Cybils, but I have taken time to peek at the year-end lists.  I mentioned Publisher's Weekly's list a couple of weeks ago, and now Kirkus has published the Best Children's Books of 2013.   School Library Journal announced their choices for the year as well:  SLJ Best Book 2013 Fiction, SLJ Best Book Nonfiction, and SLJ Best Books 2013 Picture Books.

I am thrilled to see If You Want to See a Whale on all three lists.  Some of my other favorites from the year that made all three lists are Flora and Ulysses by Kate DiCamillo, The Thing About Luck by Cynthia Kadohata and Locomotive by Brian Floca.  Both On a Beam of Light and Penny and Her Marble are on two lists and The Adventures of a South Pole Pig is included on SLJ's list.

My biggest disappointment was not finding Jonathan Bean's Big Snow or Joyce Sidman's What the Heart Knows on any of lists, but the year isn't over yet, and I'm crossing my fingers. My biggest surprise (because I hadn't heard of it until now) is Rooftoppers by Katherine Rundell.  I'll have pull myself away from early chapter books and easy readers to read it.

That's my reaction, what's yours?

1 comment:

  1. I thought SLJ's Picture Books list closely matched our families' favorites this year. I also realized that I don't read a lot of older fiction; maybe when I'm pre-reading for older kids.

    ReplyDelete