Friday, November 22, 2013

November Storytime Briefly

The air is crisp, we've seen a few snow flurries, and the mountains are capped in white.  It is time to pull the fall, winter, and holiday books off the shelf.  Here are November's storytime highlights:

We talked about small things with these stories:

  • The Tiny King by Taro Miura
  • Tiny Little Fly by Michael Rosen, illustrated by Kevin Waldron
  • Mr. Wuffles by David Weisner
  • Little One Inch (a storybox by Steve Light)
First, I have to say that I love The Tiny King.  The "Big Princess" makes me laugh every time I read it.  I was a little nervous to use Mr. Wuffles in storytime, but my book club friend, Krystal, convinced me to give it a try with her great alien voice.  I read the first couple of pages, and then I took volunteers to read and "interpret" each of the other pages.

I told Little One Inch using the wonderful storybox created by Steve Light. You can find it here.  And even better, scroll down the page and watch Mr. Light tell the story.  (If you are looking for Christmas gifts, these boxes are fun for storytelling and for play.)

The last leaf fell from our red maple tree, and I took it to storytime to share with the children as we talked about fall and Thanksgiving.  We read

  • Red Leaf, Yellow Leaf by Lois Ehlert
  • Bear Has a Story to Tell by Philip C. Stead, illustrated by Erin Stead
  • Over the River and Through the Wood by Lydia Marie Child, illustrated by David Catrow
  • Balloons Over Broadway: The True Story of the Puppeteer of Macy's Parade by Melissa Sweet
The children were excited about the upcoming holidays.  One little girl enthusiastically shared her story of visiting "Yew York . . . Nuew Nuork . . . you know, where they have that parade on Thanksgiving!"

No comments:

Post a Comment