Saturday, January 31, 2015

January Storytime Briefly 2015

Snow, snow, and more snow--that's what we should be seeing in my neck of the woods around this time of year.  Even though I didn't even pull my snow shovel off its hook in January, that didn't stop me from pulling some snow books off my shelves.

We talked about hats and earmuffs and read
  • Brimsby's Hats by Andrew Prahin and
  • Earmuffs for Everyone: How Chester Greenwood Became Known as the Inventor of Earmuffs by Meghan McCarthy.
Earmuffs for Everyone reminded one student of a book we had read a few months ago--Pop!: The Invention of Bubble Gum.  He was pretty pleased with himself when I pointed out that both were were written and illustrated by Ms. McCarthy.

We talked about snow and read
  • Outside by Deirdre Gill and
  • Snowflake Bentley by Jacqueline Briggs Martin, illustrated by Mary Azarian.
I think those selections left us lamenting our lack of snow, so the next week I changed plans.

We talked about unreliable narrators and read
  • The True Story of the Three Little Pigs by Jon Scieszka, illustrated by Lane Smith and
  • The Bear Ate Your Sandwich by Julia Sarcone-Roach.
We considered the stories' narrators, and compared them to the narrator in a book we had read previously--Jon Klassen's This Is Not My Hat.  If you haven't seen The Bear Ate Your Sandwich, go find a copy now.  You can thank me later.

We read books about science:
  • Gravity by Jason Chin and
  • Star Stuff: Carl Sagan and the Mysteries of the Universe by Stephanie Roth Sisson
We looked at the illustrations and talked about the upcoming ALA Youth Media Awards.  I can hardly wait for next week to share some of the winners!

No comments:

Post a Comment