Monday, November 3, 2014

Lions and Tigers and Bears . . . and Lizards and Spiders and Turtles and Tapirs . . .

I don't really read nonfiction.  Nonfiction is just not my thing.  I haven't read that--it's nonfiction, right?  I can't count the number of times I have heard variations of this sentiment recently.  And as I was listening to Sy Montgomery (Kakapo Rescue, Chasing Cheetahs) speak at a conference this summer, I thought, Why?  Why are these captivating books so often dismissed?  Are we as enthusiastic book talking nonfiction titles as we are talking about the newest fantasy series?  What can we do to get our students excited about nonfiction?

So, at our library, we have decided to celebrate nonfiction during November with an event called The Fabulous 590s.


Throughout the month we will be spotlighting many of the books from our 590-599 shelves.  And because nothing can rival the power of peer recommendations, we are encouraging our students to write about their favorite books.

Student recommendation wall.
Our first recommendation.

Bookmarks for students who recommend books.
More bookmarks.

Tarantula highlighting our event.

Our 590s shelves.

We are looking forward to a great month sharing fabulous books!

1 comment: